Male Infertility Treatment
Due to environmental factors, working environment, lifestyle, obesity etc, infertility is growing at an alarming rate. Infertility in male accounts for more than one third of infertility cases in a couple. 15%-20% of male in India suffer from infertility.
There are a number of causes of male infertility that may arise due to any defect or hindrance in the pathway of sperm production and ejaculation. Male infertility is accountable for almost 30%-40% of the cases where the woman is not able to conceive.
The reproductive system in males is responsible for producing sperms, storing it and transporting it to the fallopian tube in females to fertilise the egg. There are many factors such as quality and quantity of sperms and the delivering of the sperms that support the smooth functioning of the entire process leading to fertilisation of egg. Any complications on the part of male reproductive system leads to infertility.
What is infertility
The situation when a couple is not able to conceive after regular unprotected sexual intercourse for a year or more is called infertility. Consult the doctor if you and your partner are having a tough time to conceive.
What are the causes of male infertility
Male infertility is caused due to either of the following situations - hormonal problem, any obstruction in the sperm pathway, problems related to sperms and functional problems such as erectile dysfunction.
The various causes of male infertility includes-
- Sperm disorder : It includes the shape and size of the sperms, counts or quantity and its ability to swim in the uterus. Any sperm deformity can be a cause of chronic diseases, alcohol, hormonal imbalance, certain infections etc. Low sperm count and poor sperm quality is the most common reason of male infertility.
- Inflammation of veins : Scrotum is the part where sperms are stored and the swelling of the veins in scrotum affects the growth of the sperm.
- Reverse Ejaculation : Even if the sperms are healthy but for fertilisation to occur it is important for it to reach the egg. Due to certain deformity the sperms return back instead of getting ejaculated in the female reproductive system. This may be the cause of medication, surgery etc.
- Hormonal Imbalance : Hormonal imbalance can cause poor growth of the sperms.
- Medication for digestive problems, high blood pressure, cancer, mental illness etc can affect the sperm and its delivery.
- Deficiency of minerals and vitamins
When to see the doctor
The common findings given below is the call to see the health care provider-
- See if the amount of semen ejaculated is low or early.
- Decrease in hair on the face and body
- Any swelling or pain in the testicles.
Symptoms of male infertility
The primary symptom of male infertility is not being able to make his partner pregnant. Other symptoms include erection dysfunction, premature ejaculation and reversed ejaculation where the semen goes back to the bladder.
How to diagnose male infertility
The healthcare professional will do a detailed physical examination along with blood test and semen analysis. Based on the hormonal profile and semen test report the cause of infertility is diagnosed.
Treatment of male infertility
The treatment approach includes treatment of associated disease, treatment of sexual dysfunction, stopping the toxic factors etc. Depending upon the cause of infertility and other factors, the treatment can be divided into two -
- Surgical management is done in the sub fertility case when other modes of treatment are not possible. The veins and tubes are repaired.
- Hormonal therapy depends upon the cause of infertility and works by boosting the sperm production.
- Assisted reproductive technique (ART) involves the process where the egg or sperms are taken outside the body or are fertilised outside the body. It includes in vitro fertilisation (IVF), intrauterine insemination, and intra cytoplasmic sperm injection.
- Non surgical : Herbal oil or cream massage on the penis has wonderful results in infertility due to functional problems such as erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation etc. It also involves use of antibiotics in case of infertility related to infections.
How to boost fertility
If you are having trouble conceiving after trying a few times, adopting following things can help you enhance your fertility.
- Go for sexual intercourse during the fertile window of your partner. Do not use any lubricant as it can hamper the sperm quality.
- Stay away from the warm environment or avoid keeping your laptop on the lap.
- If you are taking medicines for depression or hypertension or other things it is better to talk to the health care provider as it has a tendency to affect the sperm production.
- Manage your stress : Stress is one of the main causes of infertility. It can reduce your sex desire and thus affects fertility. At times the pressure from family and friends puts you under stress.Thus relaxing yourself is very important to enhance fertility.
- Diet modification
- 1) At times infertility cannot be treated but with diet and a healthy lifestyle one can enhance the fertility rate. Here are some of the tips to boost male fertility.
- 2) Vitamin C is a good antioxidant and is known to improve the semen quality by improving its motility and increases the sperm count.
- 3) Vitamin D has a critical role in fertility. According to the studies, deficiency of vitamin D lowers the testosterone level. High levels of vitamin D improve sperms' ability to move.
- 4) Zinc rich diet or zinc supplement increases the sperm count and also balances the hormones thus improving male infertility.
- 5) If you are obese then weight loss will help to improve the chances of fertility.
- 6) Avoid alcohol, smoking, heat, tight briefs and steroids.
With the increasing number of infertility, no doubt it is commonly found and affects both males and females. Male infertility is now a common health issue and according to the healthcare professionals, male infertility treatment in Delhi NCR has a successful record in managing infertility. The infertility experts help you to cope up with the management and provide constant support.